Tuesday, December 24, 2013

“Choco-mint” Choices in 2013!



Holiday 2013 seems to be the season of the decedent flavor combination: Chocolate and Peppermint (or chocolate and mint). No need to fear, there are ways to enjoy these partners in crime in a guilt-free way. Below are my Holiday picks for the best “Choco-mint” Choices in 2013!

1.       Dunkin Donuts Peppermint Mocha K-Cups: The perfect at-home brewed beverage this season. I mix mine with one splenda packet and 1 non-dairy creamer tub. It’s not as good as the Starbucks version (see item #4), but it is a zero calorie (10 calories with a creamer tub) coffee option for the morning or dessert!

2.       Angie’s White Chocolate Peppermint Kettle Corn Popcorn: Holy Holiday! This was a delicious snack! So far, one of the best finds of the season. It is pricey. A small 4.5 oz bag will run you about $3.50 at Target, but it might go on sale soon! 1-1/2 cups of this super yummy treat runs you 140 Calories (4 WW points). This snack is sweet, salty and crunchy- the perfect combination. My advice is to measure individual servings into separate plastic baggies as soon as you get home from the store, otherwise you may eat the whole bag! Note: I also saw online that there is an iced gingerbread version. I’ll be on the look out!

3.       Target’s “Market Pantry” Candy Cane Granola Bar: For only 100 Calories (3 WW Points), Chewy Granola meets real chocolate chips and pieces of crunchy, sweet candy canes for a snack that will indulge your sweet tooth. My guess is that this is very seasonal, so stock up now if you’re into on-the-go granola bars. 

4.       Starbucks Skinny Peppermint Mocha Latte: I just can’t get enough of this drink! It’s really sweet and rich and hot and yummy! For me, it’s a little sweet for the early morning, but I do find it to be the best afternoon snack while out shopping on a cold weekend, or during that 3PM work Starbucks run. A grande will run you 130 calories (3 WW Points). 

5.       Snack Factory Pretzel Chips in Dark Chocolate (and White Chocolate) Peppermint Flavors: These were really hard to find (although you can buy on Amazon) I did find the dark chocolate version at Target in Frisco… still on the lookout for the while chocolate version. I thought these were pretty good…. I think I may like the white chocolate version better. The serving size of only 4 pretzels is 130 calories (4WW Points) so enjoy each bite!

6.       Yoplait Limited Addition Light Mocha Mint and Peppermint Bark Yogurt:  Get these while you can. They are hard to find. Check Walmart and Target. I only found the small 4oz versions (but they come bigger too). Light Mocha Mint has only 60 calories (2WW points) and Peppermint Bark has 110 calories (3WW points). Seriously - Stock up before the season is over. They are a really good, guilt-free treat. (I’ll also point out that the fall flavors this year were Light Pumpkin Pie and Apple Crisp. I found them on sale for only $2 at Target!) 

7.       Homemade Chocolate Covered Cady Canes: I made these for my coworkers this year. Super easy and (I thought) super cute! I found the Sweet Stripes soft candy canes at CVS in a mini version. Each candy cane has 45 calories. I covered half of the candy cane in chocolate bark, sprinkled with a few silver sprinkles, and placed in a candy pretzel rod bag with red and while curled ribbon! I’d estimate these at 70 calories each – max! Great – and easy - Gift idea!


As a side note: I also found the Jet Puffed Peppermint Marshmallows at Target. I’m not sure what I’m going to make with them yet… Holiday Trail Mix for New Year’s Eve, maybe? Stay tuned for a follow-up post on that. Happy Holidays!




No comments:

Post a Comment